Friday, September 12, 2014

Gondelsheim to Munich



From Gondelsheim it was off to Stuttgart. We needed to look at some cars. I think they were upset that we parked a Mercedes out front.


The first Porsche when FA worked for Daimler in Austria. Electric drive.

One of the classiest Porsche designs, again while he was working for Daimler.

A 356 roadster, one of our favorites.

This is almost as nice as the engine Predmore is working on. Doesn't Buckley need a 1912 Porsche fire engine?

A 911 GT3 Hybrid. Definitely not a Prius

Lunch was in Weilheim. 

They have their own ways of propping up old buildings when they renovate them.


 One of the reasons to get the Mercedes was to drive a little fast on the Autobahn. Not all of the Autobahn is unrestricted (much of the system is limited to 130 kph), but there is a stretch between Stuttgart and Munich that was suitable for a little spirited driving.

The speedometer is hard to see; the vibration and focus change makes it difficult. It was in the neighborhood of 235 kph, let's see that's, hmm, carry the one about 146 MPH. Fast enough for those conditions. We would have needed more clear road to squeeze out the last 15 kph.



We got to Munich and it was time for a beer. Like I said, I'm not much into beer, but what else are you going to drink at the Hofbrauhaus?

Marienplatz

 In the Marienplatz is the Neues Rathaus, or New Townhall. In it is the famous Glockspiel, with a little play that performs a couple of times a day.
In a few days, this will be jammed with people for Octoberfest


The Fraükirsch

 We had another vehicle stop to make. I really needed a new R1200RT t-shirt, but no luck.

My new car. The BMW i8 hybrid. It will go fast enough, and gets 50 mpg. Still not a Prius.

Here's a prototype we caught running around town.

I am a rum connoisseur. I'm alway looking for a great rum and Plantation is one of my favorites. I've never seen a bottle of 20 year old XO, but I can't get it into my motorcycle side cases.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

"This is almost as nice as the engine Predmore is working on. Doesn't Buckley need a 1912 Porsche fire engine?"

No.