Thursday, September 11, 2014

Bastogne to Gondelsheim



From Bastogne, the path leads through the Ardennes Forest into Luxembourg. I could live in the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg. So much of it is pastoral farmlands and forests interspersed with the occasional castle.

Esch-sur-Sûre


Finally, we drop down into Luxembourg City, a hive of international activity. If I were the Grand Duke of Luxembourg, I would live here, and Jayne would be the Grand Duchess. A step down from Absolute Empress of the Universe, I know, but not a bad gig.



Duchess Jayne at the  Chateau (castle) gate


From here it's a quick hop on the Autobahn to Gondelsheim, a small village which is almost a suburb of Stuttgart. It's rural enough that tractors still run down the main street.

The Lowen-Thor
This roadhouse has been here at least since 1701. The beer is the best I've ever had - 11.4% alcohol. Brewed in the bottle. I liked it a lot, and I don't particularly like beer.

A wagon from the 1700s
It would be insignificant to most, but it's the village from which the Kellers came. I have been able to trace the family back to here in the late 1600's.

Schloß Gondelsheim

The family never lived here - they were farmers


No comments: